hello and 2 questions

hi all,
     i'm currently in the process of buying and 88 16v (my first
scirocco, and indeed, first vw).  it has two problems that i've love
to get advice on.

1 - the clutch pedal does not return when depressed - does anyone
have any ideas about this?  it seems to me that when the pedal is
depressed, i can run through the 5-speed gearbox, and when the pedal
is pulled up (it doesn't return by itself) i can only achieve 1st
gear.  i think perhaps there is a broken spring somewhere?  the
clutch cable is not broken (i had my wife watch the clutch actuation
arm on the block while i worked the pedal up and down).  please advise.

2 - the car has the famous scirocco idle problem.  that is, when
idling, the idle fluctuates +/- 500rpms or more, and almost stalls -
pressing the throttle does not immediately bring up the idle.  what
can/should i check in the car's ignition system to deal with this?

many thanks,
blake/