WAS: clips NOW: Frickin' gas!

I hear you.  Looks like the industry is exploiting an opportunity.

I've been considering selling my completely mint 40k mile 2001 4-Runner and
buying a Jetta diesel wagon.  I have 3 concerns:

1.  Getting my money's worth for my truck - not possible.
2.  The availability/price of the now in-demand Jetta diesel...maybe selling
at over list now?
3.  The Jetta's ability to carry my gear (drums) and tow my 1200 pound
boat - does anyone use a hitch with their Jetta?

Plus, who knows how long this will last?  The "downgrade" in value to a
Jetta (truck was $35k) won't easily be recovered in fuel savings as it'll
cost me $5-8k to switch cars.  If I had a crystal ball and knew gas prices
will be this high/higher for the next few years....but I doubt it.

Jim