water pump questions (sorta long)

First off many thanks to you guys who gave me advice on replacing the water pump.  The Bentley has been basically useless for this procedure, giving no info on removing the A/C compressor, not to mention that huge-ass bracket that sits beneath it.  I was in the middle of taking off the upper timing belt cover before noticing that there is an access hole in the cover, with a rubber plug, that allows insertion of an allen socket and removal of the long upper pivot bolt in that monster bracket.  Thanks fer nuthin' Mr. Bentley.

Anyway, the water pump is off the car and I'm stoked to get it all back together.  But I want to make damn sure this thing doesn't leak when it's done and I got a couple questions.

1)  I read in the archive something about needing 2 o-rings between the housing and the block?  Is this true?  Two o-rings did come with the housing, but I assumed one is for the t-stat.

2)  The o-rings supplied are identical, and though either will fit in the housing-to-block recess, they have to be pushed in to seat -- being slightly too large in diameter to settle in easily, as they do in the t-stat housing.  I've read in the archives different things, that the block o-ring is the same as the t-stat o-ring, and also that the block o-ring is slightly smaller.

3) Finally, Bentley says no RTV between the housing and the block, and doesn't specify for the t-stat.  Haynes says use RTV in the t-stat.  At this point I don't trust either manual for this job, so can anybody hep me wit dese questions?

Thanks in advance -- again --

Leo