90mm vs 100mm axle question

In a message dated 10/4/05 8:36:10 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
scirocco-l-request@scirocco.org writes:

"Going larger only is an issue if the hubs are pre-86 or somewhere around
there. VW moved to the larger diameter casting for the hub carrier before
they moved the whole line over to the larger diameter cv's."

Not saying your wrong, but for whatever reason my setup is working fine.  I
rebuilt it all, so maybe I have an updated (clearanced) hub, however as far as
I knew, all the hubs were exactly the same.  My setup is '81 spindle carriers,
wheel bearings/hubs, and old style brakes, with '88 16V 100mm axles.  It was
bolt (press) together and I didn't have to modify anything at all.  They also
see frequent abuse, if you know what I mean =)

Jim
'88 16V
'81S 16V