Oh this ETesting gets even better.

Sorry for your woes, Cathy.  Here in Wisconsin (down in the US, eh [get
it?!?]), the big cities require emmissions testing (luckily, I'm not in
one of them, but I DID have to get my Audi tested before Don Walter
bought it, he IS in one of the testing cities).  What I didn't know was
that they test cars going back to *1968* !!  I mean, hell, emmissions
equipment didn't become standard equipment until 1975!  What I don't
know, though, is whether the vehicle has to pass based on emissions
standards of the model year (in this case, an '84 Audi), or current
standards.  Either way it passed, even though I had convinced myself it
wasn't going to.
Good luck, and hang in there! If they don't pass, just send 'em my way
and I'll keep 'em until they're 20, and you can have them back.
Nate