Timing light?

Well - I think it goes without saying that you'd have to bring some "rations"
with you... i.e., consumables such as driveshafts, belts, bearings, alternator,
etc. (or at least the time to collect that stuff out here from our bountiful
(seriously) yards) and a decent set of tools.

A lot of that stuff should be diagnosable as at least a _potential_ problem
that could/should be replaced before the journey. Hell - Marc left here with a
piss-poor master cylinder in the middle of winter. Besides, between here and NY
there are quite a few Scirocco owners willing to help the cause. You just need
to identify them and coordinate. Texas would probably be better for you
logistically, but in our "isolation" I don't see many mk1's popping up for sale
in red-neck land...

I realize that it's much more difficult in practice, but your tag line says it
all Julie:  "Its not just a car! Its an adventure!" What would be more worth it
than finding a rust-free mk1?  Just ask Peter how he feels about Mars.

You could always drag Cathy out here with you rehash the Scirocco version of
Fried Green Tomatoes!  LOL   :)

JT