Alternator wiring question

On 8:34:24 am 11/08/05 Gordon Forbess <gforbess@attglobal.net> wrote:
> On Sat, 05 Nov 2005 20:21:18 -0500, "C Boyko"
> <roccit_53@scirocco.cs.uoguelph.ca> wrote:
>
> > Plan to add: ground from alternator housing to engine (shouldn't be
> > needed, but I'll still add it)
>
> I've always had a short, large conductor (braided copper) between the
> alternator housing and engine block.  It came stock that way.  Since
> my alternator is mounted with rubber bushings, I figured it was a
> required part.  I also added a ground from a valve cover stud to the
> firewall bracket that holds the coil.
>
> Gordon
> 75 Mk I/Drake 1.9
> http://pws.prserv.net/gforbess/scirocco/scirocco.htm

Now mine's not got the rubber bushings, so that ground shouldn't be needed,
but damn, it looks fine! :) (didn't do anything helpful in my case though)

BUT, what is the purpose of that strap from the coil bracket to the engine?
The coil has its own wires on the negative side, so what does the braided
strap actually do? Just another chassis ground from the engine?

cathy