Alternator wiring question

I am not sure of the actual intent but it is a very critical ground and
sometimes over looked or left to breakage. I usually run one from the
battery neagative to the back of the manifold where that one normally
connects in addition to it. I believe it provides grounding for the
distributor and spark plug wires.