[OT: TDI] Eternal error code & stealership

Eric S wrote:
>> Find someone in your area with a VAGCOM and scan it.  Give us the
>> actual code, and we'll go from there.

SCI said they couldn't figure out some of the diesel stuff with their
system so I will ask the dealer to tell me the code tomorrow.

>> Glowplug harness is about $25 if I remember correctly...if the code
>>  is coming from the glow system, thats first part to throw at it.
>> Mine went bad in 10k miles!

If the harness is <$50, we may get that but glow plugs are
$20 at tdiparts.com so I ain't giving them $60 each.  Potterman doesn't
seem to sell them.  Shouldn't the harness be under warranty though?
Like it could wear out?  I am a new car virgin.

C Boyko wrote:
> Every time I have CEL I pretty well ignore it now till it's
> convenient, it's always been in the glow plug circuit, and it's
> usually one plug that is out of mesh with the others (resistance is
> what I believe the trigger is) I had a bad harness once too,...

So you just live with it?  What's the point of having a CEL if it's
always on?  I'm sure this will be a waste of time but at least they
young techs will get a glimpse of my hippie bus.  Too bad I cut off my
hippie hair today.  Hmm, is any of this an advantage or a liability?

> Okay, I reread this, and is this in the year range that had problems
> with the main power relays?

Yeah, that's relay 109:
http://tdiclub.com/TDIFAQ/TDiFAQ-8.html#d
But that doesn't sound like what we have going on.
I will try to get the code out of them but it sounds like the smart move
would have been to buy 4 glow plugs for $80 and wiggle the harness.
Thanks to all others who replied.

PS: TDIFest is near me in Madison, WI this Labor Day.  Any of you
two-timing on the org over there?
http://www.tdiclub.com/tdifest/
I'm still a longshot to get this thing to Cincy but don't bet the farm.