Synchronicity sucks

Okay, this is a bit OT, but I'd appreciate advice. This is for the MkIV
Scirocco. AKA the DD, the New Beetle, the bloatware, whatever. Essentially
a Golf with a big butt.

So in case you didn't know, June is shift linkage month. I'd noticed that
the headache's linkage had shifted once again and decided that I'd leave it
for the weekend. Turns out she talked to her stable mate, and I'll be
looking at A4 linkage repair too, the bug has also decided she needs me to
looks at hers. She was very subtle about it, I got into the car at my night
job (only an hour from home) and discovered I could select any gear I
liked, as long as it was third or fourth. It made backing out of the
parking spot interesting. Thankfully she's a TDI so I could ease her into
third from a stop if I was really gentle.

So now my question...who's got experience with these linkages? I'd
appreciate tips, should I do this at home or take it in? I should really
drop the engine anyway since I also have a headlight out....but seriously,
what am I into here? Any help is appreciated!

Thanks,
cathy

PS, I've never seen anything like these cars for co-ordinating thier
failures. It's pretty scary.