Coolant Temp/Syn Oil

On 9:18:53 pm 07/11/05 "Larry Fry" <rocco16@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> > I agree with David.  Engines like to run hot.
>
> Well, yes, left to it's own devices (i.e. sans cooling system) an
> engine will run hot to the point of meltdown.  An engine in
> this condition, however, doesn't produce much power, or efficiency.
> :)
>
> > The reason that folks put lower temp thermostats and fan switches in
> >  is to give them additional headroom - basically additional
> >  capacity - in their cooling systems.
>
> Hmmm.
> How many of you listers put lower temp thermostats/fan switches in
> your car to give your radiator a margin of safety?
>

> Okay.  Now, how many of you did that for the purpose of increasing
> power?
>

> Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.....
>
> :)
>
> Larry
> sandiego16v

Well, I for one have that low temp stuff, and did NOT expect it to yield
power. It was for the purpose of keeping my engine cooler, it runs at about
104, which I believe to be a good operating temperature. (Often idling
after 1/4 mile/ high rpm runs) Let's not forget there are other things
under the hood than the block itself, and hot plastic/wire
insulation/rubber tends to bake to a crisp, that would include a variety of
wires, hoses and such. Just ask any Texan what happens to thier interiors.
Cathy