FW: Coolant Temp/Syn Oil

-----Original Message-----
From: David Utley [mailto:fahrvegnugen@cox.net]
Sent: Monday, July 11, 2005 7:20 PM
To: Larry Fry; peter@thescirocco.com; scirocco-l@scirocco.org
Subject: RE: Coolant Temp/Syn Oil

-----Original Message-----
From: Larry Fry [mailto:rocco16@sbcglobal.net]
Sent: Sunday, July 10, 2005 6:41 PM
To: David Utley; peter@thescirocco.com; scirocco-l@scirocco.org

* Dude,
>  You are projecting again.
>
>  State your case against mine, or ask for more info if you don't
> understand.  The personal jibes are not welcome, nor appreciated...  If
> you
> don't agree, that is one thing, but typing the above makes it appear that
> you have the truth cornered.  Not one person here does, and if you in fact
> believe you do, you are obviously the fool that you claimed I was some
> time
> back.
> David

I apologize, David.
* ----------------------
* Apology accepted...

 Since you did not state a case, but simply made a remarkable statement,
what I SHOULD have said was, "I disagree: a smooth, controlled 'burn' is the
key to max power output and engine longevity."
----------------------
* Did you read the info on the Evans site?  There are folks who have gotten
way better mileage and power by 1) making the engine hotter, or 2) by making
the fuel hotter.  I am not talking of making the intake charge hotter, that
will increase ping...
*
* Here is the Evans link again;  http://www.evanscooling.com/main25.htm
*
* Hit technical info on the upper left.  More power and economy from higher
engine temps.  BTW, he has been fighting with GM for many years, they have
attempted to steal his cooling technology...
*
* An excerpt;
EVANS NPG(tm) COOLING is a new technology, a system initially developed for
cooling race engines to reliably increase power. It does that and much more.
It's a racing-tested engine cooling breakthrough! The technology is centered
around a revolutionary new coolant, non-aqueous propylene glycol (NPG). In
addition to our own race teams and testing programs, NPG technology has been
proven in many different racing vehicles, street machines, trucks and
motorcycles. Evans NPG has been run in 2000 HP drag cars, cross country
vintage racers big block modified cars. EVANS NPG has also been proven
invaluable in all makes of Motorcycles; Exotic high horsepower racing bikes
to 1500cc, 6 cylinder touring bikes. Some of todays high performance street
machine put just as many demands on your engine and its' cooling system as
some race cars. With required engine polution and emmission control systems,
air conditioning, and other such drains, street engines can experience
tremendous stresses. Our NPG is ideal for such applications with the
addition of our NPG optimized components, almost any setup can be
efficiently cooled - reach uncompromising maximum performance.
Engines have the capacity of operating at much higher efficiencies which
lead to higher power production. The limiting factor has always been the
conditions imposed by water-based coolants, including low boiling point and
excessive vapor generation. These conditions cause localized coolant
boiling, vapor blanketing at hot spots and the resultant destructive
detonation and pre-ignition. In some applications, coolant alone will
improve fuel economy and reduce emissions; in others simple mechanical
modifications may be required.
When vapor blankets the surface, water-based coolants lose their ability to
absorb heat from the hot spots in the combustion chambers, leading to high
metal temperature spikes well above critical levels. The result is loss of
power from detonation or component structural failure from pre-ignition in
the form of piston damage, head gasket failure, and/or warped or cracked
heads.
Water-based coolant is operated near its boiling point. Cylinder liner
cavitation erosion is caused by vibration-induced high frequency pressure
changes at the metal-coolant interface. Coolant, near its boiling point,
makes vapor bubbles that abruptly collapse against the metal surface,
causing erosion of the metal. EVANS NPG Coolant contains no water and is not
operated near its boiling point.
The boiling point of EVANS (non-aqueous propylene glycol) NPG Coolant is 370
degrees F in a non- or low-pressurized system. The coolant is normally
controlled at conventional temperatures but functions perfectly well at
higher temperatures, even considerably higher temperatures.
Detonation/pre-ignition control and previously forbidden combustion chamber
pressures and temperatures are no longer the danger they were to thermal
engine efficiency and durability.

I found this under the 'high-performance' link.

*
Your statement that a violent burn (of the gas) will result in harnessing
"all the power" goes against what I have learned about
our reciprocating engines and their combustion processes.  Either that or I
was asleep in class.  :)

That's my "case".  :)

Larry
sandiego16v
I will admit that higher coolant temperatures goes against conventional
wisdom.  Be that as it may, convention tends to have a tendency to only
respect the status quo.  Draw your own conclusions from reading this, or
looking further into Evans' site, or by talking with me.
I am no engineer, but to be completely frank, this shit works.  My ass may
be out of calibration on a few things, but I know I have more power because
of Evans, which naturally runs hotter than traditional coolant.  Did I
mention that I have 28 degrees of basic mechanical advance on my JH, with no
pinging? And it runs great...
I doubt you fell asleep in class, you were too keen to remember it in our
past discussions.  However, I do believe you might have fallen asleep in
past discussions on this topic, this is not the first time I have mentioned
higher temps= power...  ;-)

David