Was: question about oil filter change, now: different question about oil filter change

> I just don't know the answers.
>

> Neither do I ultimately.  Be that as it may, wouldn't it be more prudent
> err on the side of factory parts rather than aftermarket?

 That'd be assuming the "factory" parts are probably 'better'....which is
just what is being debated in this thread.

Especially when
> there is not an inherent, or at least a vaguely known problem with factory
> parts?

Didn't know that there is/was one with the aftermarket items (Fram).

 Do be confused, I am not a factory parts nazi, I try to recommend
> stuff that works the best for the money.  I don't buy everything for my
> car
> from my work (as if I could).  I have seen Fram, Purolator, Pennzoil,
> Parts
> Master, Wix and a few other oil filters inside, and I am not really
> impressed with any.  The closest to the original for our cars has to be
> WIX,
> but the money difference is not enough to make it worthwhile for me...

>> What I do know is that Fram filters have served me well since I started
>> putting them on/in my first car more than 40 years ago.
>
>> Larry
>> sandiego16v
>
> Great, glad you have had success with them.
> Since neither knows the answers to what works best where, let me further
> complicate matters for you.  To say that every Fram filter is made with
> the
> same degree of diligence for every model car and engine out there surely
> has
> to be just as a myopic as the statement that Fram filters suck
> (theimplication being across the board).  I am just as guilty of making
> this
> mistake, do you conceed or agree to that?

Agreed.

> Fram is an American company, and as such they do not have a clue of what
> European nor Japanese designers had in mind , most especially because they
> have not worked together.  That coupled with the fact that Fram is going
> make a filter to fit a price-point below that of Mahle and Mann because
> they
> in this case do not make a factory filter.  M&M are responsible for making
> filter for VW directly, and as such they will be liable if and when it can
> be shown that they have caused VWs motors to fail prematurely.  Fram has
> no
> such contract or liability with VW (AFAIK).  Is it really so hard to not
> see
> where it is AT LEAST more likely that Fram is not going to have a clue
> about
> a VW motor and its' requirements?  Do they even sell Fram in Europe at
> all?

I'm not sure that the nationality of the manufacturer is conclusive evidence
of that manufacturer's product's unsuitability for use in the product of
another country.
After all, a modern Otto-cycle engine is a pretty global entity, as is motor
oil.

> Look at it this way, it IS cheap insurance.

If the "factory piece" was of proven superiority, I'd have to agree with
you.  But is it?  If you and I had proof, I'd not be debating this with you
...either that or you'd be able to present that evidence and prove me wrong
very quickly.

>But, what do I know?  Do what
> you like, and what you are happy with...

Looks like we will (all) continue to use what we have been using all along,
eh?

Larry
sandiego16v