Was: question about oil filter change, now: different question about oil filter change

-----Original Message-----
From: Larry Fry [mailto:rocco16@sbcglobal.net]
Sent: Sunday, July 10, 2005 11:04 AM
To: David Utley
Subject: Re: Was: question about oil filter change,now: different question
about oil filter change

That is a sensible suggestion, David.  The only problem I see in it is that
I am not a filter designer, and wouldn't know how to evaluate the two.

Dan put it succinctly in his post.  I.e. which is better, thinner media A or
thicker media B?   Coil spring or clockwork spring?    40psi bypass or 60psi
bypass?

Do ALL of them exceed requirements, some just exceed it by more?   How much
is enough?   Is a new Fram more disireable than a Mann with 5K miles on it?

I just don't know the answers.

Neither do I ultimately.  Be that as it may, wouldn't it be more prudent to
err on the side of factory parts rather than aftermarket?  Especially when
there is not an inherent, or at least a vaguely known problem with factory
parts?  Do be confused, I am not a factory parts nazi, I try to recommend
stuff that works the best for the money.  I don't buy everything for my car
from my work (as if I could).  I have seen Fram, Purolator, Pennzoil, Parts
Master, Wix and a few other oil filters inside, and I am not really
impressed with any.  The closest to the original for our cars has to be WIX,
but the money difference is not enough to make it worthwhile for me...
What I do know is that Fram filters have served me well since I started
putting them on/in my first car more than 40 years ago.

Larry
sandiego16v

Great, glad you have had success with them.
Since neither knows the answers to what works best where, let me further
complicate matters for you.  To say that every Fram filter is made with the
same degree of diligence for every model car and engine out there surely has
to be just as a myopic as the statement that Fram filters suck
(theimplication being across the board).  I am just as guilty of making this
mistake, do you conceed or agree to that?

Fram is an American company, and as such they do not have a clue of what
European nor Japanese designers had in mind , most especially because they
have not worked together.  That coupled with the fact that Fram is going to
make a filter to fit a price-point below that of Mahle and Mann because they
in this case do not make a factory filter.  M&M are responsible for making a
filter for VW directly, and as such they will be liable if and when it can
be shown that they have caused VWs motors to fail prematurely.  Fram has no
such contract or liability with VW (AFAIK).  Is it really so hard to not see
where it is AT LEAST more likely that Fram is not going to have a clue about
a VW motor and its' requirements?  Do they even sell Fram in Europe at all?

Look at it this way, it IS cheap insurance.  But, what do I know?  Do what
you like, and what you are happy with...

David