Re: Removing clearcoat without affecting paint underneath???

On Thu, 6 Jan 2005 11:01:22 -0500, "Mark F." <mk1mark@gmail.com>
wrote:

On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 07:54:42 -0800, Gordon Forbess
<gforbess@attglobal.net> wrote:
As already stated.. no.  Lacquer thinner, rubber gloves, mask, lots of
rags, fine emery cloth for nicks, and your time.  Assuming your wheels
are silver, buy a couple of cans (not cheap and may be hard to find
locally) Wurth silver paint and clear coat to refinish.  It is, AFAIK
the correct color/paint manufacturer for all German cars.  I
refinished the wheels on my Mercedes coupe (17-hole painted alloys) a
year ago and they look new and absolutely correct.

I was thinking media blasting the affected spots with a mild abrasive
(like walnut shells) JUST enough to remove the dark/flaky spots might
work, and then re-clear the whole wheel with rattle-can clear...

Without seeing what you have to work with, I can't say.  I had one
wheel totally "yellowed" and flaking clear coat.  All of the others
had some clear coat problems and most had the usual scratches from
tire changing.  Another had a nasty gash from a piece of steel that
fell off a truck in front of my wife on an LA freeway.  The car had
around 200k miles at the time and the wheels showed it.

And, as you might guess from my Scirocco, I am anal about such things.
Reading Mercedes lists and listening to those guys, there is only one
way to do things or it's not "correct".  Most modifications,
substitutions, and half-measures are frowned upon. In some respects,
the Benz gets a little better attention than the Rocc (and I rarely
get to drive it).

That's a very nice Audi model you have.  If those are the wheels you
want to keep, (as well as the car) I'd go for the full re-do with the
genuine materials.  But that's me.

Gordon

75 Mk I/Drake 1.9