Re: Removing clearcoat without affecting paint underneath???

On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 07:54:42 -0800, Gordon Forbess
<gforbess@attglobal.net> wrote:
As already stated.. no.  Lacquer thinner, rubber gloves, mask, lots of
rags, fine emery cloth for nicks, and your time.  Assuming your wheels
are silver, buy a couple of cans (not cheap and may be hard to find
locally) Wurth silver paint and clear coat to refinish.  It is, AFAIK
the correct color/paint manufacturer for all German cars.  I
refinished the wheels on my Mercedes coupe (17-hole painted alloys) a
year ago and they look new and absolutely correct.

I was thinking media blasting the affected spots with a mild abrasive
(like walnut shells) JUST enough to remove the dark/flaky spots might
work, and then re-clear the whole wheel with rattle-can clear...

Later,

Mark.
75
80 S