Re: Removing clearcoat without affecting paint underneath???

On Thu, 6 Jan 2005 02:44:12 -0500, "Mark F." <mk1mark@gmail.com>
wrote:

I just bought a set of wheels for my Audi, and the clearcoat isn't in
the best of shape anymore - making the wheels look like ass...  Anyone
know of a product or procedure that'll allow me to remove the crappy
clearcoat without removing the paint below it?  I'd like to make them
look a little better, but not go through the bother and expense of
completely restoring them...

As already stated.. no.  Lacquer thinner, rubber gloves, mask, lots of
rags, fine emery cloth for nicks, and your time.  Assuming your wheels
are silver, buy a couple of cans (not cheap and may be hard to find
locally) Wurth silver paint and clear coat to refinish.  It is, AFAIK
the correct color/paint manufacturer for all German cars.  I
refinished the wheels on my Mercedes coupe (17-hole painted alloys) a
year ago and they look new and absolutely correct.

Gordon

75 Mk I/Drake 1.9