Re: Here we go again, was Re: this guy deserves a serious beatdown

Obviously an extreme example.
Lightening the flywheel of a Scirocco will not effect clutch or flywheel
life unless you're a real
fumblebuss and you just have to rev the piss out of the engine to get the
car going with the lighter
flywheel!

I like mine, and have no complaints at all. (this is a from a non-
engineering standpoint, purely from a driver's perspective) It revs back
down faster, no biggie, and it's NOT easier to stall. It spins up SO fast.
And we got more life out of the clutch on the light flywheel than we did
out of the previous ones on the heavy flywheel, mind you, they weren't
identical clutches so it's not a fair comparison. I'd say don't take too
much off, get it balanced, and enjoy it. I have seen one blow up (on a
Talon), it was not pretty (wrote the car off at about 100 mph), but that
wouldn't apply to our cars anyway, it was a really heavly modified car
that had been drag raced steadily for many years.
I'll probably get the MkI's done next time the clutch is off, I'm a fan of
this mod.

Cathy
1999 TDI New Beetle
1987 2L 16V Scirocco
1979 1.8L 10:1 8V
"Deja moo- the feeling you've heard this bull before"