Re: Here we go again, was Re: this guy deserves a serious beatdown

and i'm sure that clutch and flywheel don't have to
last 100k or 150k miles either. --- Dan Bubb <jdbubb@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

Lightening a flywheel is just the same as removing
weight from your car except it's primary effect
is reducing rotational inertia as opposed to just
lightening the car. There is no change in engine
HP or torque as a result of changing flywheel
weight.
Rotational inertia can be correlated to vehicle
weight, so you can calculate the effective weight
reduction. It's just that the effect is different in
different gears. Relatively large effect in
1st, small effect in 5th.
There's a performance gain. It isn't huge. It may
not be worth the money. But it's there.
And No! the laws of physics haven't changed.

As a case in point, anybody seen a Formula 1 crank,
flywheel and clutch. Just to give you an idea,
the clutch plate diameter is 4.5" or less and the
flywheel is really just an attachment plate for
the clutch. Two reasons for the small diameter
clutch; lower engine center of gravity and lower
rotational inertia.
The ultimate lightened flywheel.

Dan

Sent: Tuesday, January 04, 2005 10:06 PM
Subject: Re: this guy deserves a serious beatdown

On Tue, 4 Jan 2005 09:31:50 -0600, "David Utley"
<fahrvegnugen@cox.net> wrote:

>Next, Dan will tell me that I was right about
heavier flywheels increasing
>mileage...  :)

I must have missed that one.  FWIW, Drake considered
lightened
flywheels a waste of money.   Not bad.. just no net
performance gain.
I got the physics lecture from Robert Collins when I
asked about it
and those laws haven't been changed in last 20
years, have they? :-)
Gordon
75 Scirocco/Drake 1.9 8V
http://pws.prserv.net/scirocco/scirocco.htm