Re: Light makes right?

From: JoshuaA.Conner@VerizonWireless.com
Date: 2005/01/05 Wed PM 04:10:19 EST
To: scirocco-l@scirocco.org
Subject: Light makes right

I have often tried to stay away from some of the theory related discussions
but I can not pass this up.  I would contend that a flywheel's only purpose
is to even out the power pulses.  This would have the effect of a smoother
idle, and possibly greater traction based on the firing order of the engine.
The downside is IMHO horsepower consumed.  IIRC horsepower is loosely a
measure of an engines rate of change ability(simply put, gain/lose rpm).
Would that not be the intent behind an F1 car having virtually no flywheel?
They have no concern for idle characteristics, all the engineers want is for
the engine to increase rpm as quickly as possible. Less mass to move, easier
to make it spin faster simply put eh?  To wrap it up, the  lighter the
flywheel the worse your idle but the greater the release of your engines
power to be dedicated to making your wheels turn faster which is what we
want right?

Then perhaps this is one of the reasons why they are so likely to stall?  Less rotational mass to keep the motor running if one is too brutal with the clutch?

But then again, this is academic.  We don't drive race cars, on a track.  We drive in the real world...  :-P

Anybody see that one Warner Bros. cartoon with the midget mafia type boss?  "Shut up, shuttin' up."  (Talking to myself, of course...)  :-)

David

Yes, I know I am weird.  Tell me something I -don't- know...

Nothing can bring you peace but yourself. --Ralph Waldo Emerson