mk1 ventilation problems

C Boyko wrote:

>>4. lastly- i have hot air all the time, there is
>>always heat building up in the centre area, even with
>>the lever set to 'cold'.
>

> This may be the valve in the coolant system which diverts coolant to/from
> the heater core itself, it's stuck in the hot position. It may be the
> valve itself, or the cable that operates it which is sticky. Probe around
> under the hood, and move it to see if it moves and if it makes a
> difference. You can use a cable tie to manually tie it in the position you
> want it in till you get it fixed.
>
> Cathy

Am I mistaken to think the Mk2 Scirocco (esp those with A/C) has hot
coolant flowing through the heater core and uses a flap to divert air
through it or not depending on the control lever. Oh, that was a question.

Well, if that is the case the you sir have 'my lever is unhooked' type
problem. If not, and you can pop the hood to verify, have someone work
the lever and verify if 1) you have a valve & 2) it closes all the way.

There is AIR then there is A/C, these two systems overlap. Even with the
compressor removed the other parts of it are trying their best to
comply. You can see this in #2 s you describe when A/C is selected all
of a sudden a closed flap is opened and the air flows. (Plus the idle is
adjusted thinking the now missing compressor is going to induce drag.)

So, your basic problem is flaps and lack of control, lever like.
(Anybody want to confirm or deny whether vacuum has anything to do with it?)

TBerk