mk1 ventilation problems

hello all, can someone tell me how my ventilation
system is supposed to work???  here's what i've got
right now:
1. air never comes out of the centre vents, the flap
is closed, but i can push it open with a screw driver.
2. the fan pushes a minimal amount of air, unless i
move the centre lever all the way left of the 'cold'
positon, to the a/c detent, then something goes click,
the idle goes up, and the fan blows all sorts of dust
and twigs all around the car.  btw, the a/c compressor
has no belt, and the condensor core is removed.
3. there seems to be a vacuum type pushrod to the left
of the centre consol, which appears to move slightly
with the engine rpm, what does this do???
4. lastly- i have hot air all the time, there is
always heat building up in the centre area, even with
the lever set to 'cold'.
any advice would be greatly appreciated, since i now
have doors, and a rear hatch, and i must keep the
windows closed, as it is raining a lot now!  thanks!!