Bent axle?

 The stub axles are short, stubby (!), strong bits of steel.  The beam, on
the other hand, is long and flexible....any hit on the wheel(s) can apply a
lot of leverage to the beam and its round tubing legs.
  My own 16v had a problem with rear toe-out and it was a bent beam, the
stub axles were fine.  The stub axles are relatively easy to check, the
Bentley has a procedure.
Larry
sandiego16v