mk1 ventilation problems

> C Boyko wrote:
>>
>>>4. lastly- i have hot air all the time, there is
>>>always heat building up in the centre area, even with
>>>the lever set to 'cold'.
>>

>> This may be the valve in the coolant system which diverts coolant
>> to/from
>> the heater core itself, it's stuck in the hot position. It may be the
>> valve itself, or the cable that operates it which is sticky. Probe
>> around
>> under the hood, and move it to see if it moves and if it makes a
>> difference. You can use a cable tie to manually tie it in the position
>> you
>> want it in till you get it fixed.
>>
>> Cathy
>
> Am I mistaken to think the Mk2 Scirocco (esp those with A/C) has hot
> coolant flowing through the heater core and uses a flap to divert air
> through it or not depending on the control lever. Oh, that was a question.
>
> Well, if that is the case the you sir have 'my lever is unhooked' type
> problem. If not, and you can pop the hood to verify, have someone work
> the lever and verify if 1) you have a valve & 2) it closes all the way.
>
> There is AIR then there is A/C, these two systems overlap. Even with the
> compressor removed the other parts of it are trying their best to
> comply. You can see this in #2 s you describe when A/C is selected all
> of a sudden a closed flap is opened and the air flows. (Plus the idle is
> adjusted thinking the now missing compressor is going to induce drag.)
>
> So, your basic problem is flaps and lack of control, lever like.
> (Anybody want to confirm or deny whether vacuum has anything to do with
> it?)
>

> TBerk

Well I know there is a valve in the coolant on two of my three A1s. (Now
ask me once again how much I love those friggin spring clamps that hold
them on)
So I was asked if it totally cuts out the flow to the core, and I don't
know for sure, but looking at the structure of the valve I'd guess it's a
pretty total blockage. The one I honestly don't know about for sure is my
Mk I, and I have to confess, I assumed it to be like the MkiI and the
cabby. So I'll go check that. As for air flaps, I don't know how they're
set up, but I'm going to have to figure that out soon on the Cabby. (The
controls are broken)
I've been wanting cool air for some time on the headache, and in addition
to that valve malfunctioning, I have no vents over the rain tray. Anyone
know a good aftermarket source for a small tasteful grille or scoop that I
could insert into the hood to get some cool air to the vent intake? This
is for an aftermarket hood.

Cathy
1987 2L 16V Scirocco - the Silver Headache
1979 1.8L 10:1 8V - Klaus- sounds like 0.33 of a Chevelle
"The light at the end of the tunnel is probably an oncoming train"