mk1 ventilation problems

i have cold air coming out of the outboard vents, the
middle vents are trying to push warm air out, but the
large (vacuum??) flap is closed.  moving the selector
lever does not seem to do anything, i'm going to check
to see if it is not connected to anything.  is this
all mechanical??  or vacuum??  keep in mind, i've
never used this car in the cold, and i've never used
the heater controls either.  thanks!!