Timing belt fun

On Tue, May 11, 2004 at 02:13:39AM -0700, T Berk wrote:

> Here's what I remember:
>
> - Align crank notch with mark on intermediate sprocket.
>
> - Verify int. shaft has dist rotor pointing at #1 mark on dist body.
>
> - Align can sprocket with top edge of head, NOT top of valve cover.

Thanks,  I have the thick rubber G60 valve cover gasket, so this would
have made a pretty big difference.

Now, when I have the intermediate shaft dot lined up with the notch in the
crank pulley, and the right ammount of tension on the belt, the camshaft
pully mark is slightly above the level of the top edge of the head.  I'd
say between 1/16-1/8 of an inch.  About a quarter of a belt tooth
distance.  I assume this must be close enough, because moving it one tooth
forward or backward results in the mark being way higher or lower than the
edge of the head.

Dan

> Question(s)-  Which side of belt gets the slack taken up initially to
> avoid shifting the timing during tensioner tightening?

Bentley says to first line up the crank and intermediate sprockets, hold
the belt tight and keep them lined up while you hook it over the cam
sprocket, keeping the belt running between the intermediate shaft and
camshaft tight.

Dan

--
It isn't pollution that's harming the environment. It's the impurities in
our air and water that are doing it.

		-- Dan Quayle