Timing belt fun

Dan wrote:

> So I'm out running errands on Sunday, coming down an
> offramp.  Downshifted, then had no power. Managed to coast to a parking
> lot, tried to restart, but it was pretty obious that I had no
> compression.  Whipped out my trusty leatherman tool, pulled the upper
> timing belt cover and found a shredded belt.
<snip>

That's my next thing to do: set 8v timing belt (new) & tensioner.

Here's what I remember:

- Align crank notch with mark on intermediate sprocket.

- Verify int. shaft has dist rotor pointing at #1 mark on dist body.

- Align can sprocket with top edge of head, NOT top of valve cover.

- New tensioner use later stud, be sure to get both if replacing oem,
old style.

Question(s)-  Which side of belt gets the slack taken up initially to
avoid shifting the timing during tensioner tightening?

TBerk