  From: Aaron
  Sent: Sunday, March 14, 2004 4:49 AM
  Subject: Re: What's the fastest can ever take your Scirocco? - more numbers

  Larry

  > Using AE's formula, can anyone tell me what the muzzle energy of a 180
  > grain 30-06 bullet is? (I know the answer, it is 2913 foot-pounds.)
  > Now, you use Einsteins's formula to calculate that same answer.

  Einsteinian physics are no replacement for Newtonian - they are in
  addition. And, you're right - they're absolutely useless unless you're
  an theoretical physicist, an astrophysicist, a nuclear physicist, or
  captain Kirk

  > You can't. It won't work. There is something missing...can you tell
  > me what it is?

  Yes - Newton!

  > His formula only works for something traveling at the speed of light.

  Not true. His formula works when you're trying to create a nuclear
  explosion. His formula applies to all situations, but is only
  measurable at high velocities. It is extreme physics - which admittedly
  is not much use in relation to souping up cars.

  > Now then, can someone show me how his theory says that mass increases
  > as speed increases, since his theory has speed being a constant? i.e.
  > provides for no increase/decrease in speed (which I think was the
  > original subject)

  Unfortunately I'm not smart enough to explain this - but look here:

  (http://www.btinternet.com/~j.doyle/SR/Emc2/
  Derive.htm#An%20Apparent%20Increase%20in%20Mass%20due%20to%20Speed)

  I'm sure that when (many years ago) a nerd taught me all about
  relativity on the back of a napkin in a pub on a Friday night - it all
  looked much more simple than the m=m0/(Square root of (1-v Squared / c
  squared)) you'll find on this page... But suffice to say - this
  equation is derived directly from e=mc2.

  Let me assure you that you know a lot more about sciroccos than I do
  about special relativity

  > Larry

  Aaron in London