  From: Aaron
  Sent: Saturday, March 13, 2004 10:12 AM
  Subject: Re: What's the fastest can ever take your Scirocco? - more numbers

  On 13 Mar 2004, at 02:45, L F wrote:

  > You can probably go nearly as fast in your 8v as you can in a U2, so I
  > can't imagine where THAT tale originated.
  >  and, uh, how you gonna' measure this "increase in mass"? Sounds like
  > an unproveable theory.

  My mistake - the experimenters didn't use a U2 (got mixed up with the
  anisotropy experiment), in fact they used 2 commercial airliners
  equipped with atomic clocks. They had a third clock on the ground and
  all three were perfectly synced. Then they sent one off east, and the
  other off west so that both circumnavigated the globe. Then they looked
  at the clocks. And, almost exactly as predicted by the equation E=MC2 -
  time passed slower on the aircraft than it did on the ground. This was
  widely accepted as empirical proof of Einstein's theory. And if the
  time/velocity component, works - then it's extremely likely that the
  energy/mass component also works

  > Old Albert didn't say energy and mass are the same thing...look at
  > his equation...it says mass is a contributor to energy.

  Actually - that's exactly what the equation says. E=MC2 is all about
  converting between energy and mass. mass is not a contributor to
  energy, it IS energy, potential energy anyway. It basically says that a
  small amount of mass is equal to an enormous amount of energy - and
  vice versa. We're not looking at the time/velocity effects here, so we
  can take C squared to just be a very large number, 9x10 to the power of
  16, in fact

  > I have a three pound paperweight sitting on my desk right now. It
  > has mass. It has no energy. You have to add velocity (drop the
  > paperweight) before there is any energy.

  Ok - lets use your example to show you just how much energy your
  paperweight possesses. Lets call your 3 pounds 1.5 kilos (for
  simplicity's sake):
  so e=1.5 x C squared
         e=1.5 x 90000000000000000
         e= 135000000000000000 Joules

  That's (obviously), shit loads of energy, in fact it's equivalent to
  32300 kilotonnes of TNT, or equivalent to more than 2500 "Little Boy"
  A-Bombs like they dropped on Hiroshima. That's how much energy is
  locked up in your paperweight - don't drop it!

  Fortunately. It's very difficult to liberate this energy. This is the
  amount of energy you'd get if you annihilated your paperweight utterly
  - converted all the mass to energy. This occurs readily in the nuclear
  furnace of our sun, or any other active star. And, with the (direct)
  help of Einstein and his equation e=mc2 we have replicated this effect
  to some degree with atomic bombs.

  > Look at his equation.
  > Look at it again.

  I suggest you get yourself a basic physics text book - I'm sure it
  would explian these concepts more clearly than me

  > Larry
  > (I'm done. )

  Aaron in London