OT- Gmail invites?

alright lets clear the air...poor google does a good thing and
eveyrone hates them for it.  trust me...the ad system and screen for
gamil is a lot, and i mean a lot nicer than hotmail/yahoo and the like.  faster as
well...when it works (more on that).  heres an example of how the ads work for
those that dont have an account...or cannot grasp the theory behind
it.

i was conversing with a gentleman about buying a hitch for my mk3
jetta.  we had sent a couple messages back and forth.  this is a pic
of the screen shot fo the email thread. ads that show up are based on
keywords in the message...no different than the ads at the bottom of
VWVortex that show ads for keywords in the threads. they try to target
what you are talking about by filtering
the words.  google doesn't care what your talkin about...nor does
anyone actually see what you are talking about unless they want to.
but guess what?  hotmail/yahoo can too, deal with it.  your email is
not safe anywhere, period. they just want you to click through to the
advertisers paying them.

http://www.31daysinsk.com/screen-1.jpg

basically a computer filters the messages sees the word 'hitch', cross
references with what they got on file for paid advertisers and pastes
them in.  and there is no banner ads or emails sent to you or anything
like that.  to be truthfully honest i barely even noticed they were
there.

as for how gmail works...i like it.  i hate webbased, but the way it
'stacks' all our replies and keeps things organized, i dont mind it at
all.  my only issue right now is that during the day, its kinda iffy
to get in to your email sometimes.  lotsa 'busy' messages, but it is
techincally beta testing we are doing yet so no complaints...i just
wont use it for anything that might be important.

the invites i imagine are a random thing that gmail keeps track of.
they will only give out more invites when there servers are ready for
more people.  simple.  right now they are still trying to gauge what
kind of server response times they are getting with the storage of so
much mail...i would imagine there is a system as to WHO gets the
invites, but as for how many...i bet that is out of the control of the
end-user.  they will not give out more invites than their servers can
handle.

as for privacy, they are no worse in the user agreement than any other
free webbased email service, or your own ISP for that matter.
basically if you dont want someone else knowing what you are
saying...then just say it to the ears you want to hear, simple.  gotta
use your head on the internet and google is no more evil than any
other company out there.  they are just trying to put together an ad
system that makes sense...the general public is just not able
understand the idea of an actually intelligent advertising system...therefore fear is
insited because they heard the word filtered and assume that means
someone watching the messages and all this bad talk about google flies everywhere.

in conclusion...i've said it before and i will say it again.  gmail
gets my two thumbs up as far as webbased email goes.  and i would
rather see ads about hitches in my conversations about hitches than i
would ads for feminine products or hair removal. HTH that helps anyone
with questions about gmail.

jody