Mk1 windshield rubber - trim absolutely necessary???

There's someone selling Mk1 windshield gaskets on ebay for (buy it now)
$65.

[http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7904
730544&category=33685&sspagename=WDVW]

It accepts the trim strip, but my question is:  Can I omit the trim?
(ie: is the trim piece needed to "key" everything in place?)

I spoke to someone at VeeParts, who also sell a gasket for $69 that has
a groove for the trim piece as well.  He mentioned that I could just
leave the trim off, and that it wasn't like a typical American car where
the trim was needed to hold everything in place...

SO, anyone else have any input?  Has anyone installed the gasket without
the trim piece?  How does it look (does it look like something is
missing)?

My other option is to contact the guy that was spamming me a while back
- he had front and rear gaskets made without the groove (cal-style).
IIRC he wanted $120 each, plus $20 shipping...

Thanks!

Mark
75
77