Motor mount questions

Calimus wrote:

> Ok, I've collected averything I need to do my mounts now I'm just looking
> for a better way to do them.  I really don't want to drop the engine to do
> the mounts but I'm having diffculty in figuring out how I would be able to
> do it any other way.
>
> The rear mount was replaced a few weeks ago, I can figure the front mount
> out.  What has be boggled are the two side mounts.  How can I replace these
> without dropping the engine.  More specificly the pass side mount as it's a
> 16v and there just isn't much room to work in.  I have an engine hoist so
> I'm thinking I'll have to use that, but will I need to drop the exhaust or
> drive axles in order to pick the engine up enough to get at the pass side
> mount?
>
> Thanks,
> William Snyder

1st off Cool Beans! on the 71 Ghia. It is my unqualified opinion that
the 70, 71 models were the best (and could be much more better with
the early style front turn signals grafted on.) But anyway.

OK, the way to do this is to support the motor temporarily via floor
jack under the oil pan or above via, etc, etc.

You drop the motor a bit and this will help get the trans side long
bolt out from it's hitting the chassis.

And on the other side the bolts into the timing belt side of the block
can be a bear, but lowering helps some. This side will be the worse of
the four bur it can be done.

(Isn't there a tech note for this, ala tin removal, ?) You won't need
to disconnect anything really big like axle/CV joints or anything.

hth,
TBerk