trade-up Scirocco for Corado

Ahhh yes, knew my name would come up!

Welll...Corrado ownership...I wouldn't own this one, if it wasn't for the
engine swap already performed (TDI).  Corrados have the same issues as
roccos, sunroof broken, rear calipers failing, etc.  Plus, they have more
crap to go wrong, power window regulators, stuuuuuuupid automatic
seatbelts, VR6 cars have a silly radiator design that breaks a plastic
part, then...there is the heatercore.  Any shop, will charge *8* hours of
labor to swap it out....yes, 8.  Oh yeah, don't forget the power wing,
those like to break too.

But, as Ellen mentioned, as did Drew, the advantages of the cars
suspension design are readily apparent at communting duties...rides well,
has plenty of suspension travel, and is admittidly easier to work on than
an A1 chassis car (the suspension anyway).

Parts are expensive...much like owning an Audi really (electrical issues
and all).  While I too would reccomend the VR6 over the G60...it would be
more expensive in the long run to own the VR...it has more inherent
problems than the G60s do, even considering the problems with the G60
supercharger.  VR6s have tons of cooling issues, radiator breaks (the
famous "crack pipe" breaks off), the after run coolant pumps will
fail/leak, heater cores leak, thermostat housings melt, etc.  Then, the
timing chain guides...they wear out, and guess what?  Tranny has to come
out to replace them all.  Then, they'll blow a headgasket...yay!
Superfun!  NOT.

If it was ME, and I really wanted a cheap, fun, easy to maintain Corrado,
I'd find a G60 with as FEW options on it possible (less crap to break),
and immediately pull off the supercharger and install a turbo kit instead.
 Boom, the one major flaw with the G60 cars has been remidied. (or, find a
TDI swap like I did LOLOLOL)

A couple of thoughts for you:

A: Its highly highly highly doubtful your rocco is worth $4000 unless
thats Canadian dollars.

B: Be prepared, if you do own a Corrado, for more problems then your
rocco, and they will be more expensive to fix for SURE.  Your reasoning of
a "newer car, less problems" doesn't hold up, even the newest rados are 11
years old now, and they don't hold up over time nearly as well as roccos.

--
Eric
www.vintagewatercooleds.com

79 VW Iltis
81 Rabbit Truck 2.0 16v
81 Scirocco S (TDI Swap project)
90 Corrado TDI
91 Cabriolet (2.0 Crossflow swap project)