shim kit on a turbo 16v

I think it all depends on your power levels.  What kinda turbo setup we talking here?  Full street ~200 hp?  Invest in a bolt kit for the differential, and do basic tranny maintenance (fluid) and you'll be fine. (Of course, you'll still want a shim kit or the Phantom Grip, I can't give advice there)
Bigger power ~250+ hp?  May require a better diff (Quaiffe) and some tranny work (gear strengthening, particularly 3rd and 4th), along with stronger driveshafts if you want it to last.  Take note, some guys seem to make do with stock drivetrain and lots of power, but it mayjust be luck.