From: scirocco-l-bounces@scirocco.org
[mailto:scirocco-l-bounces@scirocco.org] On Behalf Of Dave Ewing
Sent: Saturday, January 10, 2004 4:03 AM
To: Scirocco-L@Scirocco.Org
Subject: RE: shim kit on a turbo 16v

I believe the kit you are referring to is the peloquin shim kit and it
is
(last time I heard) was $80 or so from someone here on the list
(peter??).
BUT, if you are wanting to beef up the tranny I would start with a 16v
trans
(I like the gearing in the AGB) then decide what type of  diff you want
go with.  Opinions on this list will differ but I think for the money
the
phantom ain't bad but you also have to consider what you are going to be
doing.  For drag racing with slicks, I'd definitely shuck out the extra
dough for the quaife as I bet the slicks will eat the phantom up pretty
quickly but if your just gonna zip around the streets and beat up on
some
Honduhs and want to save a $500 then maybe the phantom will work for
you.
There are other diffs out there but most are generic and may need some
work
to fit unlike the quaife but the quaife also comes with an unlimited
warranty that even covers racing so you could swap the thing from trans
trans as you change vehicles.  I have never broken down and bought one
myself but I have driven and ridden in other's cars that have them and
they
are nice!!  The shim kit you are talking about is about the cheapest and
easiest upgrade but it's effectiveness is questionable although better
than
stock.

I'm sure others will have more input on this subject as well.  HTH!!

Dave