CA Emission Test: Stroker vs. Turbo

Man California is getting tough about engine swaps now in older cars...

G'luck , but I think in your case a 2L is so inconspicuous compared to a
"turbo" setup. I just did my 2l hybrid, and the "ref" asked me if it was a
1.8L and I replied, of course, he smiled and keyed in 1.8L (specs for this
engine is "wider range" versus the 2L specs (narrower)) and therefore your
2L passes inspection with great easy even with the dwell set at 60' on
air/mix (grin ask me how I know,....answer: ref were I go is a previous
Scirocco MKI owner, and loves it when I bring my projects to his shop for
"state inspection" usually ends up being a "more coffee?"  type deal than an
inspection (he does TEST the car, just the 2L easily passes for a 1.8L
engine. It looks stock!.

Carbing in Texas is not "part of inspection process" yet, meaning Texas has
no rules about gasoline Injection rulings yet on engine mods. (grin) so
putting twin carbs (with the gain of 10-30hp (think Webber 45 DCOE Twin
Carbs, on a specs 8v intake..) and tons of torque.

The 2L is good honest to god, FUN!, Sure a turbo will do 400HP.... But I bet
I use my torque band a lot more than a turbo does everyday.... (the band is
lower on the 3A/jh Hybrid, around 25-3500 RPM where the turbo only get you
that "being pushed into your seat" at 48-6600 RPM... I like low-end rev
torque over High-end torque any day.. And I can use it even in small
distance, in few seconds.. Good feeling, sure I only have 103.HP at the
Wheels (~139.4HP crank) and only 121 ft/lbs of torque, but it passes
inspections visual and sniffer.

ATS - Patrick Bureau -  85 2L, 102.5 whp, 121 ft/lbs torque
Email : ats@longcoeur.com - Web site : http://ats.longcoeur.com
AIM: texasscirocco - Yahoo: atsgtx - ICQ: 32918816 - MSN: atsgtx@hotmail.com
1975, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81S, 82 and 86 scirocco's coming soon!