Timing belt and main oil seal change on 16v

I am thinking about doing this job myself in the near future.  Aside from
what's in the Bentely, are there any tips, hints, and tricks that you all have
come across while doing this job you would like to share with me.  Kinda like
the "man I wish they would have put that in the Bentely" type stuff.  If I take
the belt of and replace with a new one and not touch or rotate or move
anything, can I just go ahead and start it up without haveing to mess with a timing
light, which I don't have?

Brian 86 16v
98 Jetta GLX Vr6