Timing belt and main oil seal change on 16v

I did this (timing belt) on my '84 8v this summer (and I DO mean by
myself except when I had a friend slip the top of the belt on while I
held it on the bottom gear w/ my hands. Took 5 min. altogether for that
part.). The only tricks I finagled out of the ordeal were that the
notch in the crank pulley and the dimple in the intermediate are a LOT
easier to line up and keep that way w/ a nail.

That's right, a nail.

If you line them up by eye (which is not that easy w/ the engine mounted)
you can carefully lay a nail in the notch w/ it's point in the dimple and
know when the contortions needed to get the belt off and on have knocked
it wonky. Very easy to see the slightest off kilter angle and easier to
find by Braille too.

The other things nails were used for (these were finish nails used in
conjuction w/ a screwdriver) was the 2 holes in the idler gear to take up
the slack by turning it into the belt.

This part was a little more complicated as I'd tension, tighten, check,
loosen, re-align the timing marks of all 3 cam gears, take up slack @
either the top or bottom cam gear, tension, tighten, check, lather, rinse,
repeat. Ad infinitum.

Main seal I know nothing about. It is slated on the roster for early this
summer while the clutch is being changed in the 16v so I can bring @ least
2 Roc's to Cincy. Have to teach the wife to drive stick though 1st (and
she complains that it is not a necessary thing to learn! I told her that
it was like swimming, not absolutely necessary I suppose, but
indespensible when needed and just as handy to know at other times.)

Tim

<begin automagically generated signiture>

I'm reporting for duty as a modern person.  I want to do the Latin Hustle now!