Oil pressure problem and 3A/JH instal questions.

Comment below:
Dan
----- Original Message -----
From: "Patrick Bureau" <ats@longcoeur.com>
To: "'Randy'" <sirocco81@sbcglobal.net>; "'scirocco list'" <scirocco-l@scirocco.org>
Sent: Wednesday, February 18, 2004 7:32 AM
Subject: RE: Oil pressure problem and 3A/JH instal questions.

> Randy here is my perspective on the subject since I have done this last
> June.
>
> 1. YES the "Normal" JH galleys match with the 3a block, so if you modified
> the head to have with smaller oil galleys,  I fear that your going to have
> starvation of oil in the head....

Since it's only the drain hole that's been modified I doubt you'll have starvation. You may have
more oil lingering in your head than you'd like so make sure you're valve guide seals are new.

> 2. the block off plate your talking about is not known to me, but yes you
> need one, and I suggest you talk to Greg from http://www.gakmotorsports.com/
> about the right one to use, as he makes them for half the price everyone has
> them out there right now, I use it and its perfect.
>
> About the adaptor ring for the JH distributor to the 3a hole, and the knock
> box. Its basically the following choices you have.
>
> 1. get distro adaptor and use vacuum advance, with your engine set on a
> timing that will provide you with minimal gains over the JH engine block
> 2. get 3a distro and adapt knock box./KS and advance that puppy 28' @3000K
> set your dwell at 55-60' and pull over 100HP at the wheels.

Why not just set the ignition timing at 6-12 degrees at idle? Why set it at an RPM that already has
some vacuum advance and some RPM dependent advance kicked in? Slight changes in RPM produce changes
in advance making the setting inaccurate if done this way. The KS ignition ignores the vacuum signal
at idle for two reasons: stable idle speed and the ability to consistently set the timing.

> The vacuum and the knock box system do the same thing, and both interfere
> with each other. I tried it does not work. The JH distro cannot compensate
> for knock on your 10.5:1 engine, and even at 91 RON, you will hear that
> puppy knock like a drum section if you use only the JH distro/vacuum advance
> system.

I strongly disagree with this statement. KS ignition is not manditory with a 3A or ABA and the 10:1
or 10.5:1 CR.
I've run with both stock and KS ignition and saw no difference in power (measured with a Roaddyno
that admittedly isn't the most accurate) and did not have a knock problem with the stock ignition.
KS is nice, but not manditory.

http://www.volkswagen.org/EngineSwap/Knock%20Sensor%20Diagram%20II.JPG
shows the basic wiring diagram
Make sure you get the throttle body that goes with the KS ignition. It has two switches on it that
are necessary for correct operation of the KS. Also, you still need the current WOT switch on your
existing TB. That works with the CIS and is still required when adding the KS.

  Get a 3a distro, slap the KS on it, and enjoy all the power you can
> draw from it.
>
> 3. yes www.driversfound.com under the tech notes section. (yes yes Mine will
> get posted one day...lol)
>
> 4. I like it, love it... And with 102.5 HP at the wheels, and 121 ft/lbs of
> torque (and the block/head are both stock) it's a lot of fun...:)

With a stock head the 2.0 conversion is a torque monster, but power isn't all that great. Add a
ported head and an aggressive cam and you can gain 20-30 HP and still have a ton of torque.
Dan