Self-Machining Syndrome...911!

--- David Utley <fahrvegnugen@cox.net> wrote:

> Okay...
>
>   So we go from refinishing Zender spoilers, so SMS...
> Hmmm, interesting...
>
> My tranny has been threatening to fail, and it has chosen
> a really good time to do so.  I can hear clicking, once
> about every revolution of my tire.  It comes from the
> area right next to my feet, so it has to be SMS.

I wouldn't bet on it - from what I've heard SMS usually
gives very little if any warning.  Are you sure you don't
have a CV joint failing?

> My question is this:  I am really babying it at this
> point but as it gets worse I need to know what will
> happen.  Can I limp it along, or will I be dead
> where-ever it happens?

If it is SMS, you will end up with a hole in the case and
no gear oil.  I suspect you won't get very far at all
without the oil....

=====
Daun Yeagley - Wilmington Ohio
'77, '81 S, '85, '86 & '88 16v Sciroccos, '96 Passat GLX Wagon, '56 Cessna 172
"My rabbit has a human foot on his keychain.  That's not the scary part.  What I wanna know is what those keys are for." - The Four Postmen