Self-Machining Syndrome...911!

On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 14:56:01 -0500, David Utley <fahrvegnugen@cox.net> wrote:

> My question is this:  I am really babying it at this point but as it gets worse I need to know what will happen.  Can I limp it along, or will I be dead where-ever it happens?
>
> Any suggestions, experience, or silly anecdotes are greatly appreciated as always...

My diff case had a quarter sized hole in it after SMS reared it's ugly
head...  It happened suddenly, and without warning.  I didn't hear any
worrisome noises beforehand...  Made a hell of a racket when she blew
though!  :)  It happened as I pulled out of my driveway (probably at
full throtte - I accelerate at 11/10ths most of the time..  :D), and I
believe I was able to pull back into the driveway (although it
happened a long time ago, so I'm not 100% sure on that)...  I would
guess that you won't even get a mile down the road when/if the
catostrophic final stage of SMS happens though...

I hope you got to where you were going today!

Mark
75
80 S
81 Caddy