[SPAM] Re: [SPAM] Megasquirt

> I've looked up Haltech, and the thing I don't like is they don't give you as
> much detailed information as the MS site gave me.  Kinda leaves me hanging.
> Is tuning MS or any of these hard to learn?  I'm not scared to go in and
> learn about it, but could I ruin my engine by not using this program
> correctly?  Would I be able to upload someone elses map to get me a started
> then tune it from there?  Will MS tell you when you need to change your
> settings, or do you just change them based on the information that you get
> back from you're sensors?

>From my research, in response to your question, yes, you could get the
maps from other people and modify them to your specific application.
It's also worth looking at the VEMS group engine management system.
There's another lister (who I'm surprised hasn't chimed in yet) that
has recently turned me on to VEMS.  It's based on MS, but better.  It
also self learns.  Correct me if I'm wrong here someone [Brian?] but
I'm thinking that translates to: no need to worry about setting up the
initial map wrong and destroying things.
http://www.vems-group.org/wiki/index.php
When I find some time (probably in about a week when I finish finals)
I'm going to really pick apart all the info there and may even do a
bit of work with the system's development in terms of making it even
easier because right now there is still a pretty steep learning curve
and requires a bit of geek work.  There are lots of people who have
set it up successfully on VWs though, so the knowledge base is there
to get you through it if you were to go that route.

And I'll also mention that my local car scene about two years ago
discovered standalone engine management systems from AEM, Hondata,
Haltech, etc and has really got a hard on for them, so to speak.
Everyone's installing them, but there are still only a handful (read:
1 shop and maybe 2 private individuals) that can really install and
tune them properly.  There are a lot more people, proportionally, who
have built, installed and tuned MS systems or derivatives of it on
their own.

-Grant-