[SPAM] Megasquirt

Kervin's got the basics covered. More power due to less intake restriction. I don't know of anybody
that's done a back to back comparison, but I do think that my engine made equal power at a slightly
lower state of tune (280 vs. 274 cam, headers vs. cast manifold and downpipe) than a friends CIS
equiped car.
Kervin also makes the point that you need to remap if you make changes to your engine. This cannot
be overstated! CIS is amazingly adaptable. MS needs to be tuned to accomodate changes. Going from a
stock cam to a 268 on my nephews Jetta changed some map points over 10%. Going from a G grind to the
274 on my engine cut fuel requirement by 30% at some low load/low RPM map points. The real point
here is that you need to be able to tune it correctly to get the power.
Personally, I think it's fun, especially with MS since, I think, it has the best tuning software of
any SEM that I've seen. And that includes Haltech, TEC II, DTA.
As far as power potential, I've seen a 1.8 8V with ITBs make 139wHP, 2.0 8V with ITBs make 159wHP.
The latest software/firmware for MS now supports 12 X 12 tables, ignition, and too much other stuff
to mention off the top of my head.
Check out MSnS-Extra on www.msefi.com
For what it's worth I'm running Haltech on my 2.0 8V making 132 wHP. There's no reason MS couldn't
match that.
As a matter of fact, in a couple of instances Haltech pisses me off so much (NO support compared to
MS!) that as I begin my turbo installation (where have you heard that line before??) I may convert
to MSnS-Extra or possibly to MS II. At least when something doesn't work I'll be able to figure it
out with the help of the MS gurus, instead of sending an email to Australia and hoping for a reply
with any kind of help at all.
And last comment, if your engine isn't too wild then you can propably get 95% of it's power tuning
with a regular narrow band O2 sensor. On my friend's 2.0 8V with ITBs a wide band O2 really was
required. The Techedge w/sensor is only ~$200 and isn't much more difficult to build than the MS.
Something to think about.

Dan
as usual managing to bitch about something while extolling the virtues of something else ;^)

Sent: Saturday, December 11, 2004 5:26 PM
Subject: Re: [SPAM] Megasquirt