Front inner fender brace.. got it? ** Early Mk1 owners **

On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 17:59:24 -0400, "Mark" <mardak@cogeco.ca> wrote:

>I had a chance to check my 75 today, and it DOES have the brace.  Looks
>like it's always been there too...  I bought it from the original owner,
>so I could ask him if he opted for it as a dealer option...
>
>When I pick up the 77 next week, I'll get back to the list whether or
>not it's got one as well...  Any other early Mk1 owners have some input?

Finally, a feature on an early car that is actually superior to later
ones!  That's a first.. nearly everything else in the 75 car is the
low end of the learning curve for VW.

Given the flexible nature of the front end and propensity of the rad
support and inner fenders to crack, I can't help but think later
bodies could have been improved by continuing to use it.  The question
is:  Why would VW delete it from later cars?

And if you can answer that one, we'll move on to the question of
steering rack ratios.  Do 75 cars really have a quicker ratio manual
steering rack than 76 and later cars?  My ancient Bentley gives
different basic setup measurements for 75 racks vs. 76 & later racks,
leading me to believe they are not identical.

Gordon

75 Mk I/Drake 1.9