Small victories, observations and Mk1 rear disk upgrade q's

Nate Mellom wrote:

<snip>
> Next big project is rear brakes.  The stock drums are shot, and I have
> replacements off of an '84 GTI (already did the vented front upgrade),
> but I'd love to step up to disks.  What's the best junker to get them
> off of?  There is an '87 16v in a local yard, rear brakes are complete,
> but is there anything newer I can source them from?  Just based on wear
> and tear and rustiness factor, newer parts are bester than older parts.
> What all do I need?  Stub axles on out?  What about prop valves?  Master
> cylinder?  Any tech tips on installation, etc?
>
> Gotta go get gas.  Another benefit to the Roc, I get close to 30mpg.
> The Syncro was lucky to get 19!!  Fitting on how the fuel pump died.....
>
> Nate

Well, you have two basic answers;

(1) Right side up but older fashioned design with binding parking brake

  OR

(2) Upside down but later style which doesn't stick (or much).

Old style has the benefit of getting bled easily when bolted in place,
later style doesn't bind as much but installs on our cars on the
opposite side, rending the bleeder valve upside down.

I like #2.

There are other considerations like larger master cylinder to handle the
larger brake pistons, there is also the good time to upgrade the OEM
rubber lines to braided stainless steel covered Teflon lines, with a
cover over the whole, and synthetic 5.1 brake fluid (NOTE: Not DOT 5
which is Silicon fluid, but the 'works with all type fluid' DOT 5.1.)

m'kay? What else folks?

TBerk