Small victories, observations and Mk1 rear disk upgrade q's

Collective,
Since the Syncro died, I've had no choice but to drive the '81.  It sat
for heap long time, 3 months or so, so it deserves to be driven.  Over
the past month it's become my replacement daily driver, and I'm glad to
be driving it again!!  Some issues and fixes:
a) Crappy winter tires on 13's got replaced with decent summer tires on
14" teardrops, which beget:
b) Heap-loose drivers side tie rod end.  Pulled it out, and the damn
thing popped apart, there was almost NOTHING holding the ball in the
socket.  No grease, nothing.  Scared the living snot out of me. Replaced
with a TRE from an '81 Caddy.  Best place to get new ones?  Cheapest
I've found online is something like $11.00
c) Cracked and nasty timing belt.  Mega work, this one was.  Swapped in
a new belt, which begat 1) Corrado replacement valve cover gasket and
studs, which begat 2) swappage of stock cam with my Autotech 268 and NS
cam gear.  Set spark timing, haven't messed with cam timing yet.  Since
the cam starts at 3000 and peaks at 6800, I thing I'll advance it a bit
and get the power a little lower in the rev range.  Sounds better, has a
slightly lopey idle (which is okay by me!!), and more power.

Next big project is rear brakes.  The stock drums are shot, and I have
replacements off of an '84 GTI (already did the vented front upgrade),
but I'd love to step up to disks.  What's the best junker to get them
off of?  There is an '87 16v in a local yard, rear brakes are complete,
but is there anything newer I can source them from?  Just based on wear
and tear and rustiness factor, newer parts are bester than older parts.
What all do I need?  Stub axles on out?  What about prop valves?  Master
cylinder?  Any tech tips on installation, etc?

Gotta go get gas.  Another benefit to the Roc, I get close to 30mpg.
The Syncro was lucky to get 19!!  Fitting on how the fuel pump died.....

Nate