rust on block surfaces during rebuild?

On the gasket areas of the ABA block I'm rebuilding, some very minor surface
rust has started to show (water pump, front/rear main and int.shaft seal, oil
pan areas). Should I be concerned with it other than just wiping the surface
down with carb cleaner? Is there a more-preferred method to treat it? The guy
at the machine shop gave me a good chastizing when I mentioned using maroon
Scotch-brite on engine surface (head or block)...

Thanks, Jeff