Front strut nut question

Klaus' new yellows seemed to have come with some extra parts, and your strut
housings may be the same style as mine, that is, there is a cap you reuse on
the old housing (that you have to undo with a BFH and a pipewrench, fire,
swearing, whatever), and there is no need for that cap they provide with the
outside thread (which uses the two pin tool) . I think it is that you just
add fluid and put the old cap back on there. But then again, I may have
assembled mine wrong, aren't those pictures confusing? Or maybe I'm just
really stupid. (And now for some reason my car sits 1" higher on the one
side, I plan to thrash it, then dissassemble it if it isn't just a "settling
in" issue, I measured everything and it all seems kosher)
Julie's talking about the very top nut, the one that sticks up through the
strut bearing, but you're talking about that outside threaded piece, right?
I think they give you a bunch of stuff to accomodate various strut housing
styles. (The pictures seem to show a few variants)  Maybe someone who knows
could confirm that.
Cathy