A2 Jetta question; hard to get into reverse

> True but that is hardly normal conditions.  Using or driving the car normal
> will not cause the shift linkage to go out of adjustment unless something
> comes loose or someone has been messing with it.  More than likely it is
> either the bushings or the ball and socket or something along those lines.

That depends on what you consider normal..

Perhaps carelessly loading cargo in to our dubs is not normal behavior
for either of us, Dave.. but there are lot of people (even within the VW
community) that just abuse the hell out of their cars and would think
nothing of a giving the shifter a good "bump" while loading the car.
That's the only reason I mentioned it.

It still amazes me how some people treat their cars. French fries smeared
between the windshield and the dash, dents at all four corners and broken
headlights and turn signals, shredded upholstry, cigarette burns all over
the place, etc. A lot of people never do ANY maintainence, and the vast
majority never fix "the small things that break".. they just get used to
them. "5th gear not there any more? Oh well, I'll just drive it like a 4
speed", "Engine oil light on? Bah, I'll keep driving."

You get the picture..

-Toby

> So, Toby, what large thing was loaded into the passenger side of this A2??

Uh, if I remember right it was a big cardboard box full of (heavy) canned
food and drinks.