A2 Jetta question; hard to get into reverse

A friend of mine's Jetta did not have reverse working
and instead when she put it into reverse it would go
forward instead much like it was in first gear
instead. Her dad was able to get into reverse this
morning and this afternoon she was able to get into
reverse, but at school in the morning I couldn't get
it and neither could she. I am thinking the problem
with this is the bushings are bad, the linkage needs
alignment or that relay shaft it bad. She also does
not have the reverser lockout working, but she was
used to driving without it..

I had this problem in my Scirocco when I put it in
reverse it was 1st gear instead, but my neigbhor fixed
it for me. For some reason I think her problem is
similar to mine, where I think its the alignment of
the shift linkage is off.

=====
-Andrew Wong
1984 Black Scirocco